How to Make Changes to Your YouTube Search and Watch History
- Jun 11, 2022
YouTube keeps a history of every video you've ever watched, even if you haven't watched all of them from start to finish. This is due to the fact that you can easily find something in your history that you want to watch again or share with someone. Also, storing such information optimizes recommendations for you, which allows YouTube to offer you the most interesting videos. However, you have full control over this feature. For example, you can pause the saving of your watch and search history at any time.
How to Control Your YouTube Watch History on PC
To open YouTube's watch history, first, open it in your web browser. Click on the menu that looks like three parallel horizontal bars to the left of “YouTube” and click on "History" in the list that opens. After completing these steps, you will see a chronological list of all the videos that you have ever watched. Using the “Search” field, you can find the desired video in the list by individual words or phrases. You can manage your watch history on YouTube.
- If you want to stop tracking your watch history, then click on "Pause Watch History", after which your watch history will stop updating until you activate it again.
- If you want to remove a certain video from your watch history, then find it in the list, hover your mouse over it and click on the "X". This feature can be useful if you've accidentally opened a video and now YouTube's recommendations are less relevant to your interests, or if you don't want users of this computer to know what you're watching.
- If you want to completely clear your watch history, then click on "Clear All Watch History" on the panel on the right.
How to Control Your YouTube Search History on PC
YouTube also tracks your search history. Therefore, the ability to use it will allow you to quickly remove unwanted requests or find those that you were looking for earlier. To open your search history on YouTube, go to the History section, which you will find in the YouTube menu. There you will find a list of all the videos you have ever searched for or watched.
- To remove an individual video from this list, simply hover your mouse over it and click on the "X".
- To completely clear the history, select the deletion time frame "all the time" in the drop-down list at the top and click on delete.
- To turn off search history, click on "Saving activity" and select "Turn off".
- Also, you can set your search history to be automatically deleted at regular intervals. For example, you can ensure that the history is automatically cleared every 3 months.
How to Control Your YouTube Watch and Search History on Android or iOS Device
Google provides convenient tools to manage your watch history on YouTube for smartphones and other mobile devices, regardless of which operating system is installed.
- To open your watch history, go to the YouTube app, then tap the "Library tab" which is located at the bottom of your screen, and tap on "History".
- If you want to remove a specific video from your watch history, look for it in the list, then tap on the three dots located to the right of the video and tap on "Remove from watch history".
- If you wish to clear your watch history or simply pause it, you can tap on your account icon, go to "Settings" and select "History & privacy". Next, select either "Pause/Clear watch history" depending on what you need.
The search history is similar to the watch history, and to manage it use the "Search" icon.
Do you prefer your search and watch history to be saved or not? Have you noticed how much better and more engaging recommendations are when you have a rich watch and search history? Please share your thoughts below!